Getting Started with HomeFirst
Who is eligible for HomeFirst?
In order to enroll, one must be:
- 18 or older
- Qualify for Medicaid
- Lives in one of the five boroughs of NYC, Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, or Westchester counties
- Determined eligible for MLTC using an eligibility assessment tool designated by New York State
- Able to remain at home without jeopardy to health and safety
- Needs community-based long-term care services for more than 120 days (e.g., in home nursing, therapies, home aide, personal care; Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services; private duty nursing; or Adult Day health care)
How can I enroll in HomeFirst?
- You or someone on your behalf (family, friend or physician) may call HomeFirst Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 1-866-386-4177. We can answer your questions by phone or schedule a no-obligation in-home appointment to help you determine if HomeFirst is an option for you. An enrollment representative will confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements based on age, geographic location of your residence, and Medicaid eligibility.
- Eligibility for enrollment in HomeFirst must be established through a clinical assessment. We will schedule an in-home assessment, during which our Registered Nurse will obtain your health history, perform a clinical assessment, and provide you with detailed information about our plan and provider network.
- Our Registered Nurse will talk with your doctor to develop a plan of care that is tailored to your needs.
- Enrollment will begin on the first day of the month after your application is processed. Enrollment is voluntary and you may choose to withdraw your application at any time.
HomeFirst receives a set payment per month from Medicaid to cover services for enrollees. The services not part of HomeFirst benefits continue to be covered by fee for service Medicaid and/or Medicare. All services are coordinated, even those not included in the MLTCP benefit package.
HomeFirst is a product of Elderplan, which offers a variety of affordable health plans for Medicare, Medicaid and dual eligible recipients at every level of health. Elderplan is a health plan with a Medicare and Medicaid contract.
If you are new to Managed Long-Term Care plans and would like to know if you are eligible to enroll, please contact the New York Medicaid CHOICE Conflict Free Evaluation and Enrollment Center at 855-222-8350 (TTY 888-329-1546).