Turning 65 and eligible for Medicare?
If you’re about to turn 65, you have some important decisions to make about your health care. Most adults become eligible for Original Medicare when they turn 65 – but will that cover all your needs?
Below are some common questions and answers people have when they turn 65 about Medicare.
What is Original Medicare?
It’s the federal health program for people who are 65 and older or people with disabilities. If you want to learn more about Original Medicare, check out our frequently asked questions.
What does Original Medicare Cover?
Includes Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (medical Insurance). You can use any doctor or hospital that takes Medicare, anywhere in the U.S. But often it does not cover things such as:
- Long-term care
- Eye exams related to prescribing glasses
- Hearing Aids and exams
For additional benefits you can also opt-in for a Medicare Advantage plan, like Elderplan.
Do I automatically get Original Medicare when I turn 65?
Medicare enrollment begins three months before your 65th birthday and continues for 7 months. If you are currently receiving Social Security benefits, you don’t need to do anything. You will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B effective the month you turn 65. If you are not already receiving Social Security benefits you will need to sign up for Medicare.
What is a Medicare Advantage (MA) Plan?
Medicare Advantage plans are “bundled” plans that include Part A, Part B, and usually Part D. Most MA plans offer extra benefits that Original Medicare doesn’t cover – like vision, hearing, dental, and more.
Links to Government Resources
We’ve compiled a list of websites that may be helpful or of interest to you.
- Medicare: English | Español
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS): English
- National Institute on Aging: English | Español
- Centers for Disease Control: English | Español
- New York State Department of Health: English | Español*
- Health Insurance Information, Counseling & Assistance Program: English | Español*
* Busque el botón “Translate” (Traducir) en la esquina superior derecha de la página web y haga clic en translate (traducir) para seleccionar español